1. News & Issues

What does Planned Parenthood do? What are their services? Do they do mammograms?

By

Question: What does Planned Parenthood do? What are their services? Do they do mammograms?
Although the name Planned Parenthood clearly states the primary objective of the organization -- responsible family planning -- it has been inaccurately portrayed by opponents such as Arizona Senator Jon Kyl who famously announced on the Senate floor on April 8, 2011 that providing abortions is "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does." (Hours later, Kyle's office made it clear the senator's comment "was not intended to be a factual statement.") The senator had good reason to back down from his misrepresentation. Only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are abortion services. The other 97% includes testing and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, cancer screening and prevention, and pregnancy testing and prenatal services.
Answer: Below is a breakdown of all patient care services* provided by Planned Parenthood affiliate health centers in 2010:

38% - Testing of and treatment for Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections (STDs/STIs)
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 4,179, 053 services which encompassed:

  • STI tests for women and men -3,552,955
  • Genital warts (HPV) treatments - 51, 197
  • HIV tests for women and men - 574,901
33.5% - Contraception (including reversible and permanent)
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 3,685,437 services which encompassed:
  • Reversible contraception for women** - 2,219,726
  • Emergency contraception kits - 1,461,816
  • Vasectomy patients - 3, 290
  • Female sterilization procedures - 605
14.5% - Cancer screening and prevention
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 1,596,741 services which encompassed:
  • Pap tests -769,769
  • Breast Exams and Breast Care - 747,607
  • Colposcopy procedures (for diagnosis of abnormal growth cells in the cervix) - 41,549
  • LOOP/LEEP procedures (treatment for abnormal growths) - 2,432
  • Cryotherapy procedures (treatment for abnormal growths - 1,254
Planned Parenthood does not offer mammograms at any of their affiliate health centers but will refer clients to other local providers who do.

10.4% - Other women's health services
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 1,144,558 services which encompassed:

  • Pregnancy tests -1,113,460
  • Prenatal services - 31,098
3% - Abortion services
In 2010, Planned Parenthood conducted a total of 329, 445 abortion procedures.

0.6% - Other health services
In 2010, Planned Parenthood provided a total of 68,132 services which encompassed:

  • Family practice services for women and men - 35, 062
  • Adoption referrals to other agencies - 841
  • Other procedures for women and men (which include WIC services -- a federally funded nutrition program for low-income women, infants, and children up to the age of five -- as well as pediatric care and immunizations) - 32,229

-----

* As defined by Planned Parenthood, "A service is a discrete clinical interaction, such as the administration of a physical exam or STI test or the provision of a birth control method." In 2010, Planned Parenthood health centers saw approximately three million patients. Collectively, they received nearly 11 million services during nearly five million clinical visits.

** Reversible contraceptive methods chosen by Planned Parenthood clients in 2010:

  • Oral - 39.5%
  • Non-prescription barrier - 17.8%
  • No Method - 11.9%
  • Progestin-only Injectables - 9.4%
  • Other/Unknown - 8.4%
  • Combined Hormone Ring - 5.7%
  • IUD - 4.1%
  • Combined Hormone Patch - 2.3%
  • Contraceptive Implant - 0.7%
  • Prescription Barrier - 0.1%
  • Fertility Awareness-based Methods - 0.1%

-----

Sources:
"Jon Kyl says abortion services are 'well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.'" Politifact.com. 8 April 2011.
"Mammogram." Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PlannedParenthood.org. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
McCormack, John. "Planned Parenthood President Falsely Claimed Clinics Provide Mammograms." WeeklyStandard.com. 30 March 2011.
Robertson, Lori and Michael Morse. "Planned Parenthood." FactCheck.org. 18 April 2011. "Services." Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.