For the purposes of this study, the following groups were defined as follows:
Tweens - adolescents age 11-14
Teens - adolecents age 15-18
Parents - adults with a child age 11-14
The survey revealed the following about tween behavior and tween sexuality:
Dating relationships begin much earlier than adults realize.
- 47% of tweens and 37% of 11 and 12-year olds say they've been in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.
- 72% say dating relationships begin by age 14.
Specifically, the percentage of tweens and parents identified below acknowledge the following acts as part of a dating relationship:
- Touching and feeling up - 37% of tweens and 31% of parents
- Oral sex - 27% of tweens and 26% of parents
- Sexual intercourse - 28% of tweens and 26% of parents
- 47% know a friend or someone their age who has touched and felt up a partner.
- 31% know a friend or peer who has had oral sex.
- 33% know a friend or peer who has had sexual intercourse.
Of the parents who say that sex is part of a tween relationship:
- 59% know that their child has kissed a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- 17% know their child has made out with a partner.
- Only 7% say their child has gone further than kissing or making out.