1. News & Issues

Who is Sarah Palin?

By June 10, 2008

If that name is unfamiliar, don't worry; I didn't know who she was either...until About.com US Conservative Politics Guide Justin Quinn casually dropped her name. (He breathlessly revealed he'd had a conversation with her press secretary. At least his email to me sounded breathless.) Apparently he was quite taken by her - Palin, that is, not her press secretary.

So who is this mystery woman, Sarah Palin?

I'd go into great detail if Justin hadn't already done so in his post "Draft Sarah Palin!"

Let's just say that conservative Republicans (like Justin) are ga-ga over her, she's the governor of Alaska, and if John McCain listened to her breathless fans and named her his running mate tomorrow, it would steal the Dems' thunder. Sarah Palin as the Republican VP nominee might put additional pressure on the Obama campaign to consider Hillary Clinton for the number two slot. (And then, who knows? Maybe the two of them might give that TV summer reality show American Gladiators a run for its money when it comes to battling broads.)

I don't know how likely John McCain is to pick Sarah Palin. But I do know that even if he did choose a female running mate, that choice doesn't make up for for a serious gaffe earlier in his campaign which was, in essence, sanctioned misogyny; he laughed when a female supporter - in reference to Clinton - asked, "How do we beat the bitch?"

He beat the b*tch all right. (Or rather, Obama did.) Now does he have the b*lls to ask another to stand up with him? And if he did, could she - as a woman - comfortably share the GOP ticket?

Comments

June 10, 2008 at 8:03 am
(1) Ted says:

Quoting froma piece I recently read:

“If John McCain doesn’t choose Sarah Palin, he might have to plead temporary insanity.”

August 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm
(2) Vix says:

Look like John selected her! Obama’s camp is already saying she has “zero” talent. Technically Obama does not have much more experience than her. I guess the Republicans could send her on a crash course tour of Europe and the Middle East like the Dems did with Obama. HA! They have also made a point to say her only real experience is running a town of 9,000 people. By doing that Obama runs the risk of offending little America, which he already did once with his guns and religion speech regardless if that was his intention. McCain has just tossed a wrench in the Democrat attack pattern.

August 29, 2008 at 11:39 pm
(3) JG says:

As one blogger post:

This Country is SCREWED! Two totally incompetant Presidential Candidates both with Rediculous Choices for running mates, The GREATEST Nation in the World is making a laughing stock out of itself! Mr McCains choice ACTUALLY named her kids “Track, Bristol,Willow, Piper and Trig! Are you kidding me?Hopefully PEOPLE will WAKE UP before ELECTION DAY and take a good hard look at an independant or a write in Candidate. Maybe one of them can step forward and take over this POLITICAL CIRCUS and give the AMERICAN Voter an Honest to goodness WORTHY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE!!! GOD HELP US!!!
______________________________
But only after McCain choice I had to chose Obama..as a woman I think with my head..as another blogger post:

Well Well… I must share this thought..this is so funny… If McCain dies, we have Palin as VP… (smile) If Obama dies or mess up..we have Biden experience.. (not being ironic) So People Figure It Out..I rather Obama.

______________________
I RATHER OBAMA ALSO

August 30, 2008 at 1:04 am
(4) A. Thomas says:

Finally someone who says what most of America beleives! Drill now, don’t kill the babies, get rid of the corrupt politicians, put the people first and best of all…she’s a Mother. Ladies you know she knows how to run things! I think she rocks and she’s got my vote. I would probably have voted for Hillary, but this lady is even better! One things for sure I am sick to death of the media shoving Obama down my throat! He may be a god to them, but to me he’s an inexperienced arrogant Washington politician. Same BS as before just with more eloquent words. As for Palin, even the politicians are calling her a Washington outsider. That’s a GREAT sign! McCain & Palin have my vote!!! God Bless America!!!

August 30, 2008 at 7:27 pm
(5) Maurice Houdou says:

I love America. I worry about the future of America. The government put who they want Up there as long they know that they can control them . A change? No we will not get it. Different Head Clown but same Circus. Obama talk a lots about all the changes he will make and that what We want to hear but never said How he will make those changes. McCaine is seating on his hands and we don’t hear a thing from him. Mrs. Sarah Palin is brand new to us… Like Obama she cames out from nowhere. If she is brilliant and talk intelligently, she may help McCain. I want to hear her talk ! As right now, I am undecided.

August 30, 2008 at 10:59 pm
(6) Kathy says:

You gotta be kidding. I’m insulted. McCain is 72 and could pop off any minute and he’s means to leave us with this self described
“Hockey Mom ” as his VIP? What an ass.

August 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm
(7) Kathy says:

And another thing. Palin mentions that since Hillary just missed out on her nomination after breaking 18 million little peices of that glass ceiling, why not consider herself as an alternative? What ajoke. Hillary has been in public service since this chick was in high school. She can’t hold a candle to someone of Hillary’s education, background and record of hard work. There are qualified Republican women all around Washington and the country, all McCain could come up is this perky little exbeauty queen? Just goes to show he doesn’t take the job he aspires to seriously.

August 31, 2008 at 12:06 am
(8) Julie says:

Hockey Mom’s ROCK…..I think McCain’s choice is brilliant…he had my vote!!

August 31, 2008 at 12:50 am
(9) maggie says:

As a republican, I am voting for a democrat. Not only do we need a new Supreme Court, but I truely believe the running of our great nation takes more than the ability to have kids.

September 1, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(10) timothy says:

I remember being in New Orleans,as an English tourist, in 1981,pre the Reagan/Carter election,and a taxi driver telling me”we have a choice between a film star and an idiot”
Twenty seven years on and nothing much has changed..
Sarah Palin?….brilliant choice as a possible future Presidentesse…Americas’ insanity was never better exemplified than her naming of her children,nor it’s hypocrisy by her Christian take on abortion,but eschewing Biblical denunciation of unmarried sex.If you Americans want to see the future….see the movie”Idiocracy”

September 1, 2008 at 5:49 pm
(11) Jon Agee says:

Quote one, left by Ted…I hope that it was left by Ted Kennedy!! Palin ROCKS!!

September 3, 2008 at 8:42 pm
(12) jennifer says:

Palin is wonderful. She brings a lot to the table.she is a real modern day republican with grounded republican values. The demiocrats are just jealous of this choice. Once again they are outsmarted by republicans. Now we can put the minority ticket on the back burner and start to focus on the main issues. This is really going to rattle the democrats. now they have to actually present a platform instead of this “change” garbage!

September 4, 2008 at 12:32 am
(13) Cindy says:

Lots of these people are concerned about the future of America based on unusual names of a Vice Presidential Candidate’s children? Let’s take a look at that for a moment? Have there not been enough children named James and Mary? (Two of the most common names in America.) Too many people are scared to buck the system, go out on a limb, dare to be different!!! Just because someone does not conform to the masses that does not make them a liability in fact it makes them an AWESOME and POWERFUL ASSET!!! Anyone shallow enough to judge anyone based remotely on the names they chose for their children is a very ignorant person indeed!! After anyone carries a child for nine months and goes through the hardship of labor and delivery and then devotes the next eighteen years to providing every need for that child, regardless of hardships, handicaps, mistakes, regrets or bad decisions and provides unconditional for that child as well as the offspring of that child for as long as they live………..perhaps they earned the God given right to name that child ANYTHING THEY CHOOSE!! And may God forever bless them even further if they have the guts to name them something unique!!!! Biblical names such as Jozadak and Ahikam would seem a bit unusual too…….for today because it is not common now but at one time the norm! What i see as somewhat perhaps for lack of a better word scary………a Presidential Candiate in America named Barack Hussein Obama!! IF one person can hear that and not recall 9-11, Saddam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden I am not sure they are American!! If anyone wants to bring names into this election and how ODD they may be then, HELLO?????? perhaps the Democratic Party should be looked at NOT the Republican Party!! Sarah Palin and her children’s names are to be applauded!!!

September 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm
(14) troy says:

Thank you Cindy.The Democrats are scared of the political surge and presence of Gov. Palin.Why do the lefties keep insisting Sen McCain is going to die in office are they privy to some horrible medical condition that he is not aware of.Of course not,they just realize now they screwed up and left Hillary off the ticket.And only because Michelle doesn’t play well with other’s.When in reality she should have been there nominee.I am a registered Democrat,but Jimmy Carter soured me on Democrats, I quit voting just a party line.I vote for right and against wrong now.Go Hero’s and Hockey Mom’s!!!!!!

October 6, 2008 at 1:36 pm
(15) Becky Lagouros says:

Has Sarah Palin found any of those ‘specific examples’ of McCain’s support for regulation of Wall Street she promised to dig up for Katie Couric?

October 27, 2008 at 11:59 pm
(16) Larry says:

Where in the Hell did Stupid John Mccain get that clown from. He need to send her dumb ass back.

November 17, 2009 at 10:40 pm
(17) RICK MIOLINI says:

SARAH PALIN I WANT YOU TO KNOW AND THAT IS SHE IS A LADY AND A PERSON AND I KNOW THIS SHE GOT A JOB TO PROTECT USE AND I KNOW SHE WILL PROTECT ME AND LET YOU KNOW AND YES I WILL TELL ARE OF YOU AND I DO LIKE HERE AS A LADY AND A PERSON AND SHE IS MY DREAM COME TRUE AND MY FUTURE THANK YOU