What's the worst gift you've ever received? Was it a thoughtless gift from a boyfriend that pretty much told you the relationship was over? Or a gift from a friend that was so wrong, so misguided, so off-base that it made you question whether or not she knew you at all? What were the circumstances and how did you react? Share any and all gift stories, whether they had to do with your birthday, Valentine's Day, anniversary, or holiday.
worst christmas gift
- I am not making this up but the worst christmas gifts I ever got was last year (2011). I got toenail clippers and socks :| it's like are you serious I could of gone to freaking dollar store and bought toenail clippers. Seriously and I had to pretend to be excited about it cause I didn't want to hurt their feelings but good god who the heck wants freaking toenail clippers for christmas!
- —Guest ipod
Worst Valentine's Gift Ever!!!
- The worst gift I ever got was on Valentine's Day... Actually, I don't even remember the "Gift" because as I was opening and reading the card my smile turned to tears after I saw that the message inside was crossed out and what was written was by ANOTHER WOMAN!! It read something to the effect that he will never love me and that he was HERS! here's when my heart actually bled... When I asked how this could have happened he basically said was just a friend that came by his house and she must have done it while HE WAS IN THE SHOWER!!! For Real???! Oh that's not the end... I was 3months pregnant with our child... Still hurt to think about it.
- —Guest Broken Heart
Seriously, what was he thinking...
- Well, me and my boyfriend have been together over 2 years and this year I'll be spending it with him and his family. This year we were a bit tight on money and he asked me "What would you like?" to which I said "Hair dye, I'm dying it black." because I didn't want him to spend too much on me. Couple of days later he comes into a bit of money, buys his father a £40 blue ray box set, buy's his mother a vintage Pink Flloyd cd, his sister an expensive art set and even baught a cookery book for my landlady which I don't even live with anymore then importantly baught me the cheapest two boxes of black hair dye which came to about £5. He also keeps telling me "I'll buy you something more" seeing as his mum made comments of "I think you should get her something more than that, for gods sake." It's Christmas morning and he's still not gotten me anything more, PLUS to add to it It's my birthday the day after. Merry Christmas to me.
- —Guest MandyMoo
So, what do I do with this?
- My older brother once gave me a trivet. This would be a weird gift anyway, but it was especially odd considering the fact that, at the time, I was nine years old.
- When my first husband and I were engaged and it was my birthday , he was so pleased when I opened my gift in front of my family. Oh Lovely.. matching chrome and glass, diner style, cream and sugar containers. Needless to say, we weren't married very long.
- —Guest Barb C.
- My husband ALWAYS forgets my birthday and we have been married 55 years BUT every year when it is his mum's birthday he tells me, "It's mum's birthday!" Anyone want to swap?
- —Guest Joan Drysdale
no this isn't a joke
- me and my boyfriend have been dating 7 months and he bragged for MONTHS about how he was getting me the best christmas gift ever. i was soo excited, and when i opened the present i saw a big camera cord to hookup together so we could skype..... i thought he was legit kidding
- —Guest worstboyfriendeva
Really, these gifts were a BIG surprise
- I dated a Las Vegas Casino marketing executive for a year. For christmas, he informed me that he has several GREAT presents to give to me. I was SO excited. The first gift was a pound of bacon. (I am not making this up). Gift #2 was a six pack of budweiser. (No really, I am not making this up) and the 3rd great xmas gift was a stuffed 12" snowman from Walgreens. (hey folks, I couldn't make this up if I tried).
I'm sure that the expression on my face was priceless!! I kept thinking this is a joke, this is a joke. Nope, not a joke.
In a word: CHEAPSKATE.
- —Guest Lorene
- My husband gave me a fruit basket for Christmas- no thought was put into that. Now I buy a gift for myself and give him the bill.
Cheapest valentines gift
- I received a toilet paper holder from the dollar store for valentines day. One dollar spent. cheapest guy ever and he makes 100K a year.
- —Guest Guest J
Not a Thing
- My husband gave me absolutely nothing for Christmas this year. I did get him two small things as we were spending money to travel to his family's and we had "agreed" not to get each other a gift. However, I spent much time shopping, buying, and wrapping presents for his family (which I enjoyed doing) but I would have thought he would have done a little something for me. Hurt my feelings a bit.
My two worst gifts
- First husband gave me a 12 foot black wax owl candle. Another year he gave me a black and white checked dress that his grandmother could have worn, size 16 when I was a size 9.
- —Guest CAthy
Is it really for me?
- A boyfriend in college gave me a back massager - the kind with wooden rollers that you roll over the other person's back. When we broke up, we weren't living together but we had a lot of commingled stuff. As he was taking his box of stuff out of my dorm room, I noticed the back massager in his box. I said, "That's mine." He said, "Are you sure? I remember buying it." I had to remind him that he gave it to me as a gift.
- —Guest D
- I'm allergic to almost anything perfumed. So, last Christmas my Mom (who knows, but she forgets) gives me a very nice scented candle burner with 3 different scents and promises for refill. I can't use it, but I love Mom and don't want to make her feel bad. The upshot is that I regifted it and the recipient was THRILLED! Chalk up another house I can never visit without antihistamines... That's the problem, I can't regift these things to anybody whose house or office I intend to visit.
- —Guest wb
- I received a twig with a ribbon tied around it in a first grade gift exchange. The boy who gave it to me said it was a wish stick. I could make a wish with it and the with would come true. So I wished for a better gift. It didn't work.
- —Guest guest b