Movers & Shakers - Influential Women
Candidates, elected officials, pundits, and those who achieve the distinction of 'first ever' all cross paths in the political arena and influence policy, opinion, and the larger society.
- Elena Kagan - Fourth Woman Makes Supreme Court 1/3 Female
- Sonia Sotomayor - First Hispanic and Third Woman on the Supreme Court
- Michelle Obama - First African American First Lady
- Sarah Palin - First Female Republican Vice Presidential Candidate
- Hillary Clinton - Groundbreaking Campaign to be First Woman President
In many ways, media has the greatest impact as the gatekeeper of information in our society. Our opinions and perspectives are determined by what we read, hear, and see; and print and broadcast media - though challenged by online media - continue to dominate.
Throughout history, women have pushed against gender bias and fought for recognition and compensation equal to that of men. The terms used for these women have changed over time, but today women's rights, women's issues, and women's concerns all fall under the umbrella of feminism.