1. News & Issues

Cheerleading Coach Carlie Beck Fired for Posing for Playboy

By April 20, 2009

From the list of "Things Not to Do If You Want to Coach High School Cheerleaders": Pose nude for Playboy.

Carlie Beck, former coach of the Casa Roble High School cheerleading team, was fired by the San Juan Unified School District in California after administrators learned she'd been a former Playboy "Cyber Girl of the Week."

A Model, But Not Necessarily a Role Model
The 20-year-old is pursuing a modeling career and her photos are widely available online, including a more tame photo spread for ATVscene.com, where she was Miss Scene Girl, November 2008.

"I posed for Playboy before I was employed by the district," Beck told KXTV. "I feel I was honest and forthright about my modeling history before I was employed." Beck's involvement with Casa Roble High School was short-lived; she had recently been hired in February.

Forever on the Internet
Just slightly older than the girls she'd been coaching, Beck was aware of the risks of the Playboy shoot and acknowledged, "I went into this understanding that it would be on the internet and I think it's important that anything you put on the internet will be there the rest of your life and there is access to it, so it's important to understand that."

A Moral Decision or a Vengeful One?
When the story of her firing surfaced last Thursday, rumors indicated that a disgruntled family - upset that their daughter couldn't try out for the team - ratted on Beck, who used the name "Carlie Christine" on the Playboy site.

Earlier today on NBC's TODAY show, the family came forward to tell their side of the story to host Matt Lauer.

According to Scott and Heather Geniella, their 14-year-old daughter Adelle had been barred from trying out for the team because she'd had more than three unexcused absences from school; yet by setting high standards of behavior for the girls, the district in effect had a double standard of behavior since its coach - a role model for the girls - had posed naked for Playboy.

The Genielles disputed the fact that sour grapes were involved.

Blocked Content
In an ironic twist, Heather Geniella told TODAY that when school officials attempted to google Carlie Beck's modeling career online, they used school computers which blocked student users from accessing inappropriate content - including Beck's Playboy photos.

See Carlie Christie/Beck's comments on her firing and her future opportunities with Playboy on the Carlie Christine Playboy page. Don't worry - there's no nudity involved; Playboy wants you to pay for that content.

If you found this post interesting:
Add to my Technorati favorites
Bookmark or Share

Comments

April 20, 2009 at 8:42 pm
(1) hall monitor says:

This story made http://detentionslip.org ! Check itout for all the crazy headlines from our schools.

April 21, 2009 at 6:55 am
(2) rahlquist says:

I wonder if this is the same Casa Robles that has a bingo hall to pay for their athletic programs. Morality indeed.

April 23, 2009 at 8:22 am
(3) Mary says:

I’m curious… if these pictures were displayed on a pay only website, why is that woman who turned the coach in so concerned about her daughter seeing them? Perhaps she might consider parenting her daughter’s computer usage.

April 23, 2009 at 8:37 am
(4) Samuel says:

Hopefully the ‘accused’ will be supported in a lawsuit by Playboy against the hypocritical staff who ‘decided’ she was not worthy of being associated with their school.
“He who has committed no sin may cast the first stone.”

May 26, 2009 at 5:41 am
(5) Daniel says:

She should sue the school for firing her. She has the right to show her body. She was doing her job as a teacher/coach by kicking the student off the sqaud. As long as she wasn’t wearing the schools’ uniform posing nude or posing nude with a student, she should have that RIGHT period!!! On the parents saying that the students shouldn’t pose inappropriate in photos online or what have you, that part is corect because they are underage, but any adult should be allowed to express their selves in anyway. I don’t know if she will want her job back, but I do believe she deserves it back.

May 28, 2009 at 1:55 am
(6) Ana says:

Stupid is, stupid does! All the way around.

June 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(7) Monique says:

Hi Linda,
Talking about women putting their bodies on display and exploiting/getting exploited by the system – I thought I’d suggest a related issue: comfortable, technical sports wear versus skimpy, revealing and provocative clothes. I was reminded of this while watching the French Open this week and thought how increasingly skimpy the costumes of the women are getting. While the men of today are wearing longer shorts, the women are revealing cleavage (Bethanie Matek-Sands) and what’s under their skirts (Jelena Jankovic tends to wear her dresses shorter). Yes, it gets hot out there. But I guess I’m old school and appreciate less distractions from good tennis. And of course, tennis pros are not alone in this.
Thanks