1. News & Issues

Conservative Commentator Kathleen Parker Tells the Truth About Palin

By September 27, 2008

Finally...someone recognizes that the Emperor has no clothes.

Kathleen Parker is a nationally syndicated columnist, a conservative woman writing for the right-leaning National Review Online. She's in the unique position of having the authority to speak candidly about Sarah Palin's candidacy without detractors screaming that she's a tool of Team Obama's massive campaign machine.

And what she wrote on September 26 - after seeing the Palin/Couric interview - took a great deal of guts to publish. In effect, she said she was initially wrong about Palin and that she's since changed her mind:

[S]ince Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick...a more complicated picture has emerged....[I]t is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesnít know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state....She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistanís president wanted to hug her.... [S]he has common sense, something we value. And...executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively). Finally, Palinís narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged...I confess I was delighted. She...personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didnít make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palinís recent interviews...have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, Iíve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. Iíve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted....

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, weíd all be guffawing....But because sheís a woman ó and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket ó we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

Parker gives examples of Palin's significant inadequacies. She points out that Palin's responses lack real content, citing examples taken from her interviews with Sean Hannity and Katie Couric. And she says something publicly that many of us have thought privately but lacked the courage to say out loud - Palin should step down:
McCain canít repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOPís unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability....

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

Kathleen Parker's entire commentary should be read from first word to last. I've tried to share the flavor of it here, but she deserves your time and attention. If you only read one assessment of how Palin is doing and why her candidacy presents a challenge to women intent on breaking the glass ceiling, Parker's is the one most deserving of your efforts.

Comments

September 27, 2008 at 8:20 am
(1) adam says:

The writer of this article is a typical liberal and does not deserve your time and energy needed to read her rantings.It is amazing how Sarah Palin is feared by so many.
Let’s do an article on the Democrat vice presidential choice?

September 27, 2008 at 9:57 am
(2) Jim Klein says:

Adam(1) – do you know who Kathleen Parker is?

September 27, 2008 at 11:04 pm
(3) mags 9 says:

Kathleen: Have you ever won a mayoral race? Have you ever won a Governors race? End of story. Palin has had 3 major interviews, all experts that I watched said she did just fine with Charlie Gibson. No one would have known the Gotcha question about a Bush Doctrine. There is no Bush doctrine and she handled that fine by asking Charlie to explain further. Her second interview with Fox was good, no major screw ups, unlike Biden daily on the campaign trail and the third interview with Katie Couric she mishandled only one question. So, after 3 interviews and only on screw up I think she is doing remarkable well for a first timer on the national stage. Go Sarah and watch out Joe Biden. Mags9

September 28, 2008 at 1:10 am
(4) kenneth says:

OOrah,

I agree. The author is giving her opinion on matters when really i can care less about her opinion. Truth be told Sarah Palin is more qualified than she is in the political region. I think this woman (the writer) is a typical liberal hiding in the GOP in sheeps skin.

September 28, 2008 at 12:40 pm
(5) Dawn says:

It is clear that Sara Palin is not qualified to do the job. She’s stumped by even the simplest questions. Katie Couric was not a tough interview…she’s a working mom herself. She definitely wasn’t sexist. It just shows that Sara with her experience is an excellent mayor, governor, and leader…but she doesn’t possess the necessary world experience required for her role as VP. There are other better qualified Republican women in the Senate and House that would have served McCain better. And Romney would have been a better choice during these economic times. There is still time to save the McCain campaign.

September 28, 2008 at 7:01 pm
(6) Sloan says:

Thank you Kathleen. I absolute agreed with you but I afraid it won’t happen, unfortunately. Palin won’t go because McCain and she are there for them and not for their country. The fact is that if she steps down it will destroy the credibility of McCain. The Republican will lose. So now the only chance for McCain is to keep Palin – regardless of however high the risk for America and for the World as a whole. So we can only hope that the electorate will see the cynicism and poor judgement of McCain and not vote for him.

September 29, 2008 at 12:31 am
(7) The Democrats says:

ATTENTION REPUBLICANS:
RE: SARAH PALIN

Obviously there has been a HUGE mistakeÖ..

Palinís Dribble, Weasel Wording, Mush-Mush, Asssss-Backwards speak Cleary demonstrates who carries the Down Syndrome trait in her family, because of this we (the democrats) will allow you to send her back to Wacky-silla without prejudice and select another candidate.

For this consideration the Republicans agree to sell Alaska to Russia (with Palin) and never mention the State of Alaska or her again.

The Democrats

September 29, 2008 at 3:58 am
(8) M.LL says:

You know the same was said about obama who has had over a year and now he sounds like a politician. Ms Palin has been at it, what, a little over a month and 3 major interviews. It took obama over 3 months to go on the O’Reilly factor. So give it a break, she will be fine. Geeeez, she can’t be that bad, afterall she is a Governor.
We believe what we want to believe, me too.

September 29, 2008 at 4:24 am
(9) M.LL says:

It seems that Ms Palin after only 3 interviews vs the inexperience of obama and over a yer , she will be fine

September 29, 2008 at 7:01 am
(10) JG says:

Do you remember the blonde beauty queen contestant interview last year? She and Palin share the same speaking skills and command of the English language!

As someone who has worked with numerous mayors, they become quite adept at press conferences and handling interviews. She is a governor for Pete’s sake and can not even handle a simple question.

Many people in her party are now asking she step down.

Palin is obviously so out of her league, it is terrifying! McCain has had 4 bouts of melanoma, and this woman believes she is ready to lead a nation? Are you kidding me?

Her constant “thanks but no thanks” to the bridge is nowhere is a complete mistruth. Besides her complete refusal to cooperate now with the investigation in her state, also speaks of her true nature.

Her constant remarks regarding her foreign policy experience because Russia is on the border of Alaska speaks VOLUMES! I can see the moon from my window, so I must be an astronaut!

It is no wonder they have kept her under wraps for so long. She is beyond inept and it is obvious over the past few weeks John McCain is incapable of making a smart and wise decision.

I look forward to Thursday’s debate! I can not wait to see her, unscripted. I just hope they ask her tough and real questions, like any other VP candidate.

We’ve already had a cowboy in office for 8 years. Not looking forward to someone who can not speak English, has no clue what is going on in the world, and has a “first dude.”

September 29, 2008 at 4:20 pm
(11) e-lo says:

adam1, did you just say Kathleen Parker is a liberal? If so I really hope you were being sarcastic. Kathleen Parker is a conservative.

September 29, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(12) Bonnie Eckstein says:

Party affiliation aside, Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to all professional females. Can you imagine waking up one morning to find this woman representing the United States of America. More frightening than Sarah are the people who find her credible. Who are these people? Cheers for Kathleen Parkerís courage.

September 29, 2008 at 7:52 pm
(13) lulu says:

I think Sarah Palin would make a great vice-president….in about 5 years. She needs to step down (for personal reasons) and get a little more experience and come back STRONG.

September 29, 2008 at 7:56 pm
(14) Mike says:

Do Republicans not read? Why jump on Lowen’s bones? She asks people to read Kathleen Parker’s article. Most of the text is quoting Kathleen Parker.

Kathleen Parker is a conservative Republican. This isn’t liberals piling on Palin. Parker’s no Rush Limbaugh. Her arguments are reasoned and supported.

If it’s painful for conservatives to read, don’t lay it at the feet of liberals. This one is your baby. And Parker is suggesting, from a conservative view point, that it be dealt with.

When they’ve dealt with that one, conservatives need to take a reasoned approach to understanding what went wrong with their economic philosophy and with the Iraq War. Conservatives have a lot to offer this country… and a lot to answer for. And this is a liberal saying it. But the fiscal and social conservatives in America have no place to call home and no voice asking the hard questions that need to be asked. The extreme branch of conservatism has taken over the coservative real estate and the rest of the country is reaping what they have sown.

September 29, 2008 at 7:58 pm
(15) Not Surprised says:

As a Dem I hopped that McCain would have picked a person with who was more qualified. What and the hell was he thinking. The party that he is representing was laying into Oboma for the experience issue then McCain picks his VP. McCain had to many good experienced people to choose from. His pick was nothing more than a stunt win and election. Country first BS their were to many better choices to pick from. Weather you like Oboma or not he made his choice. McCain is yes man just GW.

September 29, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(16) Logical thinker says:

All of you out there defending Palin, McCAIN’S CAMPAIGN ADVISORS DO NOT WANT HER TO SPEAK TO THE MEDIA!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE SHE IS AN IDIOT!!! SHE MAKES McCAIN’S CHANCES WORSE EVERY TIME SHE OPENS HER MOUTH, BUT I AM FINE WITH THAT.

September 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm
(17) Fl Resident says:

I am an independent and have very little use for either party as I do not believe Dems or Republicans care a hoot for the country, only in perpetuating their own power base in Congress. Having said that, it amazes me the level of anti Palin rhetoric from the media and from both the Liberal and Conservative media.. (I for one do not believe Kathleen Parker is a conservative) where is all the liberal and conservative outrage over the qualifications of OBAMA…. He has less experience than Palin and he is running for PRESIDENT…. Also, I am convinced Obama and his wife both are racist and I hear no outrage over their tolerance of 20 years of racist rantings from their church and their tacit approval of the same…. all you people worried about Palin should worry about the real problem we are facing, that is not having term limits on the idiots in Congress that got us into this finacial mess in the first place

September 29, 2008 at 8:58 pm
(18) Jonathan says:

What is good for the country Vs What is good for your party. The Gaffs she made was unpalatable. This is the vice president of the US. Somehow the bar for being elected to office is lower than being hired for CEO. Could she be hired even for a fortune 5000 company? Some of the interviews she had given as Alaska Governor seemed palatable. This is the real big time, think about it.

September 29, 2008 at 9:12 pm
(19) chuck says:

This is just sad. The basic truth in this is clear and I am blown away. Gov. Palin has had a longer political career than Sen. Obama. She has voted more times than Obama. Heck she has more time in the driver’s seat than Obama. Yet people are scared that she can not be VP. Look at the past VP’s and she has the same record as most. Sorry I forgot she did not invent the internet. That was VP Gore.

September 29, 2008 at 11:25 pm
(20) Sammy says:

Chuck, I’ve voted more times than Palin. Am I qualified?

September 30, 2008 at 3:39 pm
(21) Bill says:

Y’all are all nuts. This woman is more than qualified to be the VP. She has more executive exp than either the Messiah or Run at the Mouth Biden. She has the conserative views that we like in flyover land and all you RINO’s that want to bow to the mainstream media can pull the lever for the marxist messiah. We as conseratives usually shot ourselves in the foot and Ill be danged if you are not doing it again. Mccain wins this in a blowout due to the energy this woman brought to the race.

September 30, 2008 at 4:22 pm
(22) Indie_Voter says:

Gov Palin is honest and straightforward. She may not have full command of all the economic and foreign policy issues but so is everybody else. That is why there are national advisers. What is important is her ability to make decisions given the facts presented to her.

The Couric interview is less about Gov Palin and more about Couric trying to score points for her show. CBS can garner a higher viewership by scheduling another colonoscopy for Couric formatted for high definition streaming video and posted on YouTube.

The McCain camp should quietly and behind the scenes assign Gov Palin to knock the heads of all those so-called economic experts and Wall Street Masters of the Universe. I am sure that a bailout deal agreeable to the American public will be hammered out quickly.

Take the last letter in bailout “DEAL” and put it squarely in the middle of economic “PAIN” and you get “PALIN”.

September 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm
(23) Andrew says:

Bill, you are a complete fool. Claiming her “executive experience” makes her “more than qualified” is just ignorant. There are mayors with more complicated jobs than Palin has as governor. She has WILTED under the spot light of softball interviews. She allowed the PM of Pakistan to make untoward comments about her appearance without making it clear that that’s not acceptable. She did well making it to guv but she’s not ready for VP. Comparing her to Obama is just ridiculous. Hockey mom vs. Harvard Law graduate. I know who I’d rather have running the country.

September 30, 2008 at 4:59 pm
(24) Stella says:

Andrew, I agree with you completely. I am embarrassed to even imagine what other nations think of her as a choice for VP. The laughter can be heard around the world. I just shake my head and wait for November 4th.

October 1, 2008 at 3:27 am
(25) Thedes says:

George W. was governor of Texas. He was suppose to be experienced. Rove said that Bush had foreign policy experience because Texas borders Mexico. He was governor of a state where it’s legislature only met once every two years. We’ve had 8 years of this “experienced” bozo and all his failed policies. We’re tossing 20 billion a month into that blackhole called Iraq. Our infrastructure is falling apart and the U.S. is bankrupt. We can’t keep borrowing money from China, Japan, and Saudi Arabia. I’ll take Obama and his so called lack of experience over another governor who’s so obviously not qualified nor capable. Granted, she perfect in the respect that she’s not too bright and easily manipulated. Just what Rove and Cheney are looking for. If they manage to steal this election then they have just another couple of puppets who will make sure the Rove/Cheney failed policies will continue. Cheney wants to make sure Halliburton and all the other war profiteers will have sucked the taxpayers dry before he leaves. Look for McCain to appoint Cheney to his cabinet and Rove as a presidential “consultant”.

October 1, 2008 at 5:13 am
(26) SueW says:

I agree that NEITHER party cares for the country. I also agree that the McCain team FAILED to adequately prepare Palin for the Curic interview ( She is not Mike Wallace- the woman used to do Panda bear birthday parties on Today ) BUT Curic DID her homework. And having worked for WBIM in MA when in college m the odds are good that Palin HAD the questions BEFORE the interview as that is usually policy at her level. She probably approved the ones that she would answer. And failed anyway- so what is with that? Inattention to detail, failure to prepare- I work my butt off to keep MY job. Do you think that I want someone who doesnot take the job seriously enough to FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS? This was her job interview and I would not hire her. If McCain wanted to win, he should have asked Libby Dole to be running mate. Whatever her qualifications, she appears to be easily distracted. The shooting wolves from a helicopter is unsportsmanlike behavior as well.
FYI – I am voting MY wallet not any party this time. I am not a DEM or a REP- I am in the what can you do for ME party? Obama will get the vote because its been 8 years since the Dems were in which makes them first timers with more to lose. Bush has been a disaster. We have a long row to hoe before we see anything resembling prosperity again. And both parties are to blame – Lets vote them all out or put in a vote of confidence as they have in England.

October 1, 2008 at 6:09 am
(27) Jaki Kennedy says:

When a person has no clue what they’re talking about, and it’s painfully obvious to everyone around them, the person with the problem mouth should be quietly, but firmly, told to be quiet. Such is the case with Ms. Palin. I shudder to think what would happen if she were to actually occupy the main seat at the White House, with her “I can see Russia from my house” attitude. This country can do so much better; even the Republican Party can do better. There are several women out there who are much more capable and qualified than Sarah Palin. Ms. Palin should recognize she is, indeed, out of her element and back down.

October 1, 2008 at 8:29 am
(28) M.LL says:

I read and read and read all those responses, oh my. McCain will be fine and so will Palin.
Couric, it was not the best interview.
Bottom line, either you like her or you don’t.
What an insult to ask her to step out. Seems no matter who was chosen for V P, many would find something wrong, no matter, can’t win for losing, so go figure.

October 1, 2008 at 8:31 am
(29) Andrys says:

Unfortunately, the real problem for me is that I can’t tell, from listening (while cable news is on and I’m on the computer), whether it’s the Tina Fey parody I’m hearing or Sarah Palin.

There’s almost no difference !

(And her predicates often have no subject!)

I have empathy for her situation, but then I have empathy for ours too…

October 1, 2008 at 8:33 am
(30) M.LL says:

And another thing, ah, who cares?

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 am
(31) Blissful says:

Has anyone ever heard of the Peter Principle? Palin is IT!
She may have been good at her previous jobs as mayor or governor of a small town and state with low population…but that doesn’t mean she’ll be good at a bigger job governing over millions of people! And just because McBush was a good POW doesn’t automatically mean he’d be a good president. I think he’s too old and not thinking clearly.
I feel sad when I see Palin struggle with a question, but it clearly means she is NOT ready…and maybe never will be!!!

Watching her makes me think it must suck to be her….kinda like having that dream where you’re naked in a bus load of people and the door won’t open. Every time she opens her mouth, she inserts her feet and humiliates herself and those of us who intuitively know she’s wrong for the job.

I just hope she hasn’t set our gender back a few decades by making a fool of herself in front of the world!

October 1, 2008 at 11:15 am
(32) cathe tan says:

Sarah Palin is still the best for me. No matter what you say, I am still for her. I like Biden, but pleasssse Obama?
Katie Couric? she just wants her fame back so she used Palin. That’s all I can say. I have stopped watching Oprah show. My own poll says Republican will still come out to be the winner. Sorry you guys!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(33) Blissful says:

Cathe tan…..may I ask WHY you are voting for McCain? Is it because of personality…or policy?

Can you really say Bush was a good choice?

October 1, 2008 at 3:35 pm
(34) William E. Wallace says:

Palin should stick to being a Hockey Mom. Picking up the kids in her gas guzzling SUV is about all she needs handle. This *** is totally out of her league. Any idiot that thinks the world is 6000 years old and creationism crap should be taught in our schools has NO business being one 72 year old heartbeat from the President. NONE! She should do the right thing and step down.

October 1, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(35) Whiteknyght says:

If you think about, Palin is just following the traditional archtype of a woman making her way… she’s pretty, still relatively young, not much in experience or even intelligence, but she’s hooked a powerful old geezer with failing senses…

It’s the American way… forget feminist doctrine, the ultimate role model is still Barbie.

October 2, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(36) Hendot says:

McCain and Palin may not be an ideal choice, but then again who is? Consider the alternative! Obama assciated with terrorists and communist groups – supports a socialist state – and will destroy the economy with tax plans. Listen to other news media besides CNN MSNBC, and ABc

October 2, 2008 at 8:41 pm
(37) Blissful says:

To Hendot…WHERE do you get that stuff????
There was an email circulating when he was first nominated with that kind of junk in it and it was very quickly disproven!
You really should be more responsible than to keep perpetuating such hateful rumors that contain NOT a shred of truth!
I get my news from at least a dozen sources and all that anti-Obama junk you mentioned is being spread around by the white supremacists and those who are racially biased! There is no basis in FACT!!
Check your facts…even at snopes.com, for heaven’s sake! You’re spreading lies!

April 7, 2010 at 12:25 am
(38) Rita Hunt says:

I agree that Sarah Palin did a fine job on her interviews. Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric tried to make themselves more famous due to their networks’ poor ratings, but it didn’t work for poor old Charlie. It won’t be long until Katie is retired too I’ll betcha! Sarah Palin INCREASED McCain’s ratings and EVERYONE knows that but you Ms. Parker. Her anti-abortion opinion is NOT popular with some women who don’t accept accountability for their own actions and will pay for it later! Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama and I think EVERYONE understands that now. Wake up Ms. Parker!

December 1, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(39) Dana says:

Better than the know nothing community organizer running the show now.