1. News & Issues

Have You Seen the "Sarah Palin Planned Parenthood" Email?

By September 24, 2008

On Saturday, September 20, the letter below arrived in my inbox. I looked at it, thought it was clever, and promptly forgot it.

Apparently, thousands of other women read it carefully and took it seriously enough to do what the letter suggested.

Like the Anne Kilkenny letter, this email has gone viral very quickly. But nobody knows where it originated. Planned Parenthood says it didn't come from them, but they're the unwitting beneficiaries of its call to action. The response has been so enormous that media outlets are reporting on its impact across the country.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

You'll want to read the letter first before you see what others are saying, right? Here it is:

Dear Friends:

We may have thought we wanted a woman on a national political ticket, but the joke has really been on us, hasn't it? Are you as sick in your stomach as I am at the thought of Sarah Palin as Vice President of the United States?

Since Palin gave her speech accepting the Republican nomination for the Vice Presidency, Barack Obama's campaign has raised over $10 million dollars. Some of you may already be supporting the Obama campaign financially; others of you may still be a little honked off over the primaries.

None of you, however, can be happy with Palin's selection, especially on her positions on women's issues. So, if you feel you can't support the Obama campaign financially, may I suggest the following fiendishly brilliant alternative?

Make a donation to Planned Parenthood. In Sarah Palin's name. And here's the good part: when you make a donation to PP in her name, they'll send her a card telling her that the donation has been made in her honor. Here's the link to the Planned Parenthood website:

You'll need to fill in the address to let PP know where to send the "in Sarah Palin's honor" card. I suggest you use the address for the McCain campaign headquarters, which is:

McCain for President
1235 S. Clark Street
1st Floor
Arlington , VA 22202

Feel free to send this along to all your women friends and urge them to do the same.

And that's what a number of women have been doing. Palin's extreme views on abortion (only acceptable when the mother's life is in danger) have prompted many to take action and contribute to their local Planned Parenthood chapters.

According to the Rocky Mountain News in an online article dated earlier today, this has meant a windfall for PP as dollars pour in:

Katie Groke Ellis, field manager for the Planned Parenthood of the Rockies Action Fund, predicts that the five-state chapter of the group alone could draw $100,000 in donations.

"We are so excited to see that people are writing checks to us instead of just complaining about it," Ellis said Tuesday.

Although this email's author is unknown, it was inspired by a woman who's happy to take credit for another similar campaign that predates this one by seven years. Patt Morrison, an LA Times columnist, suggested in January 2001 that readers of her column do the same thing to anti-choice George Bush on President's Day. Writing for the Huffington Post, Morrison describes what happened back then:
Ultimately, more than a million dollars, I was told, was generated for Planned Parenthood in Bush's name. George Bush became one of the biggest money-generators in Planned Parenthood's history. The idea won me an award from Planned Parenthood, and a splash in Ms. Magazine.

So I am delighted that my ''Mother of All Ironic Donations'' notion has been revived for Palin.

Comments

September 25, 2008 at 3:09 am
(1) D says:

I got this email a few days ago. I admit that I didn’t scrutinize it too closely, but I thought it had originally come from Planned Parenthood!

September 25, 2008 at 11:55 am
(2) Annie Hammel says:

I really think it is a brilliant idea.

September 25, 2008 at 3:54 pm
(3) Ilene says:

Well, make a donation!

September 25, 2008 at 5:44 pm
(4) CT says:

Too funny… So, I will send a donation to the NRA in honor of Barack Obama for balance! And another to whoever provides adoption support, in honor of Planned Parenthood.

September 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm
(5) Emily says:

You know that of course there will be a slew of donations to pro-life causes to counter this. There is already a widely-circulating email encouraging pro-lifers to donate to a pro-life cause in Trig Palin’s name and send notification to the Republican Party or McCain’s campaign.

September 26, 2008 at 9:39 am
(6) Jo says:

Hmmm, lots of people donating money to causes they believe in after they were inspired, either positively or negatively, by the candidates for president and vice president. Isn’t that a good thing? Inspiration wins out over apathy!

October 3, 2008 at 4:56 pm
(7) Francesco says:

God bless Sarah Palin. I would not want to be in the shoes of the planned parenthood people on judgment day.

October 5, 2008 at 12:11 pm
(8) yolando says:

There are those who are pro-choice that likes Sarah Palin, like me.

October 8, 2008 at 12:49 am
(9) Mark Cohen says:

Do you want to pitch in? See my Share the Love with Sarah web site.

October 9, 2008 at 6:55 am
(10) M.LL says:

Geeez, here I go again, Roe V Wade will never, never be overturned, period.
“Cloths Hangers” will never be in style ever, ever again. Pro life believers sure, but, when push comes to shove, well, decisions have to be made. So give it a break ladies.
Pro Choice about everything I believe in, period.
Oh, yeah, Planed Parenthood, save the card and stamp and use the $$ as needed.

November 7, 2008 at 1:00 am
(11) andrea says:

You know what you all will probably consider a “fiendishly brilliant alternative” to heaven? Cackling to yourself in hell over the “joke” you contributed to, surrounded by all of the images of all of the babies you’ve helped murder. Yes, it’ll just be their images ‘cuz they’ll be in heaven. May God have mercy on your souls!

November 11, 2008 at 5:49 pm
(12) Janie says:

Andrea, As a result of your comment #11, I just made another donation to Planned Parenthood in your name. Thanks for the motivation!

February 14, 2009 at 11:41 am
(13) Joe Vodifay says:

Hey, women do have a choice. I have to wonder how they forget this. They have a choice on whether to spread their legs or not. They made their choice at that time. When one dances with the devil, one must be prepared to pay the price.

Ask a womamn who can’t have a baby if killing an unborn child is moral or right.

February 23, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(14) Binarysunset says:

Abortions just send babies to Jesus faster. :D

April 5, 2011 at 2:01 am
(15) Mbk says:

Hey, joe v, my wife cant have a baby and she is big time pro choice. Stick to your own opinions, you dont speak for most of us.

August 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(16) Janis Keller says:

Molech was a god who was found in Pheonicia, Egypt, Syria, Canaan, Israel, Ammon, Moab, Judah, N. Africa. What Molech demanded from his followers was a sacrifice of their children by “passing” them through the fire. In later times, Molech’s name changed to Apollo or Kronos, who also required that children be burnt sacrifices so all might go well with their parents. Some nobles in Carthage decided to sacrifice low-born children instead of their own, and then were defeated by Agathocles. Fearful that they had done the wrong thing, these nobles then sacrificed 300 children of the best families at once.