1. News & Issues

Quick Study? Palin Attended 6 Schools in 6 Years to Earn College Degree

By September 5, 2008

As Sarah Palin preps for her first debate with Joe Biden in just a few weeks, McCain officials say she's a quick study.

Then why did it take 6 schools and 6 years for her to earn a college degree?

Yesterday's Chicago Tribune ran an Associated Press story on Palin's globetrotting pursuit of an undergraduate degree, a journey that took her from Alaska to Hawaii, the mainland US, back to Alaska, and finally ended at the University of Idaho. Apparently she didn't like her first college because it was too wet:

According to a biography ó "Sarah" by Kaylene Johnson ó Palin and three friends went to the University of Hawaii at Hilo after graduation from high school in Alaska in 1982. But they left after a few weeks because of the constant rain there, the book said.
Along the way, she sampled different majors and different types of environments, from a large university to a two-year school. Yet there are no records of extracurricular activities at the colleges she attended or at her alma mater, the University of Idaho:
Despite her journalism degree, she does not appear to have worked for the college newspaper or campus television station, school officials said....

The McCain campaign did not have an immediate comment on Palin's higher education record.

Palin's biography on her Alaska governor's website indicates only that she graduated from Idaho in 1987.

A recent profile of her in the school's alumni magazine, before her selection to run on the GOP ticket, listed only Hawaii Pacific, North Idaho and Idaho as schools she attended.

More articles on Sarah Palin:
Sarah Palin - From Alaska Governor to Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

Comments

September 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm
(1) Unlikely Completed College says:

Normally not all college classes will transfer between different state colleges. I don’t see how she could have completely college in this time frame, especially when she is frequently changing majors. Someone needs to look are her college transcripts, every employer in the US requires copies of the college transcripts.

September 6, 2008 at 12:14 am
(2) TK says:

Do you think the majority of this country cares about the education level of our leaders? Get real, we were convinced that a good reason to elect Bush was because he would be more fun to have a beer with. So Palin took six years and six mediocre institutions to get her BA, leave her alone you sexist bastards. So McCain graduated in the bottom 10 of a class of 900 from the Naval Academy, leave him alone he spent 5 years in a Vietnamese prison camp. When are you libs going to realize that being a leader of the free world isnít rocket science? An established track record of academic accomplishment and intelligence doesnít mean sh&* to us, as long as the narrative is good. My head hurts, Iím going to the frig for another Bush.

September 6, 2008 at 11:45 am
(3) IraqiVet says:

TK, what matter’s here is integrity. It appears Sarah is ashamed of her educational background. Being an Active Duty Service Member for 22 years, it took me three different colleges to complete my degree due to “Mission First”. Protecting and fighting for your first amendment rights. TK, how many years did you serve in the military? I have great admiration and respect for John McCain. I have a problem with a VP a heartbeat away from being my Commander in Chief who seems to be avoiding the real media and involved in deceptive practices and flat out lies on her Alaskan pork belly projects, eBay jet sale that NEVER occured, and even hypocritical conservative views and stance. If you put your children in the lime-light expect them to be scrutinized. What would TK, think if Obama had a daughter pregnant at 17 out of wedlock? Oh, I know….. TK, higher education teaches you to research and get the facts before you deliver an argument, I now see why Palin took six different colleges to earn a degree. John McCain did not exercise good judgment and did not pick best qualified VP, this will be revealed during the next 58 days. Obama should have picked Hillary and this would not be a debate right now. TK, remember my fellow comrades have spilled their blood, loss their limbs, eyesight and even families for all men and womens right to freedom of expression. Perhaps you should visit Walter Reed sometime up in Washington D.C., McCain has voted against increasing our benefits and that is not taking care of your fellow Comrades. Kind Regards, ‘A Real American Hero’ Arch Angel 2N

September 6, 2008 at 3:07 pm
(4) Sally says:

I think TK was being ironic.

People in a democracy get the government they deserve. If Americans are dumb enough to vote for someone because they think an ‘authentic’ person will make decisions on the basis of the values that they share, then they deserve the likes of Bush and Palin.

Let’s not get distracted here. The GOP ticket is running empty on issues. Hence the return to ‘culture war’ mode. People need to tell the media to pay attention to what really matters.

September 6, 2008 at 3:13 pm
(5) Tinklebell says:

IraquiVet–thanks for doing your part, and sacrificing your all, to boot, but I do think that TK was being a trifle-bit cynical in the blog. There’s plenty to question about the ‘fitness’ of this particular ‘pick’ and the referendum may be on the ability to elect an appointee, if anyone is conflicted about wanting to ‘choose’ Mr. McCain, but not necessarily wanting to have Ms. Palin in Washington…

September 7, 2008 at 5:31 pm
(6) Didi says:

It took me a few years and a few schools to get my degree. I can relate with her. Sometimes life takes a different direction and something else comes along that gets you distracted. I wouldn’t read too much into this. After all, I read where Obama will not release some of his records. Truth tell, in this instance alone some of you are implementing double standards. That is why she is so popular. She really is like most of us then maybe even some of you.

September 8, 2008 at 3:26 pm
(7) ToŮito says:

As for Hillary Clinton being on the Obama ticket as one so often hears, wouldn’t she be more effective named to the Supreme Court (by Obama)than as V.P. with Bill messing things up for her?

September 11, 2008 at 12:57 pm
(8) Marie Hunte says:

Amazing to me how we as women find ways to attack each other. Shame on you for not findng a more intelligent and constructive way to make your point.

September 11, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(9) Matthew says:

You complain about Governor Palin’s college record yet your bio says

Linda attended a single sex college and graduated summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with a B.A. in English. Her undergraduate studies included communications and broadcasting at Cornell University and graduate studies in communications design at Syracuse University

Well since Cornell is not a single sex college it seems you are leaving something out.

Sarah Palin provided all of her undergraduate records, where are Obama’s?

September 12, 2008 at 3:59 am
(10) Jessica says:

I hope the former Hillary supporters can look beyond the differences and show the world that we can still put a woman in the White House.

I’m not homophobic, but I’m against gay and lesbian rights to be married or any other special treatment under that law that should only be reserved for men and women couples.

I also believe religion should be taught in schools because not enough people are going to church anymore and need learn about Creationism.

I agree that people should not have sex before marriage and the fact that she was unable to instill this value in her pregnant teenage daughter just shows that she is human like the rest of us. It’s easier to get the country to follow you than to get your own kids to listen to you.

A lot of leftwing extremists are quick to say she is not qualified to be VP by pointing out the numbers behind Sarah’s experience as a 2 time mayor and a governor. She got may have only gotten 600 votes her first mayoral election and 900 votes her second election, but the town of Wasilla only has 7,000 people. Who cares if Alaska has a population of 600,000, that is almost as populated as the city I live in and it is still 0.002% percent of the 300 million people that live in the US.

Even though Sarah doesn’t do press interviews or take questions from voters, she is always gracious in signing autographs. She is more accessible than people are giving her credit.

I’ve been to several colleges over the last 6 years trying to find one that I like. I would rather have someone who I can relate to and could even see myself having a beer with or going hunting with running the country than some honors Harvard grad with a law degree who is just going to talk over my head.

September 12, 2008 at 10:29 am
(11) Susan says:

Jessica — please, please, please never go into public office. Leave those to people who are educated and know about economics and history, political science, balancing budgets, foreign affairs, geography, culture and science. Or maybe having someone ‘just like you’ in the White House is why we are 400+ billion dollars in debt, dead zone in the gulf growing every day, football fields of wetlands lost (hence hurricanes become more dangerous), a war with no end, most nations despising us, a recession, jobs lost overseas… should I go on? Maybe being intelligent and educated does have a place in being a leader of the free world after all.

September 12, 2008 at 11:35 am
(12) SIREN says:

Obviously she’s not a scholar or we would be eating her GPA for breakfast lunch and diner;)

Get real, she’s the lead weight around McCains
ankle.

C-ya

September 13, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(13) Diane says:

People need to get real. Education is important for our leaders. Because Bush wasn’t very smart, we ended up in the mess we are all now facing. I’m a little older than some of you, and you need to understand the U.S. really needs someone who is intelligent to pull us back up in the world. McCain isn’t too smart, either. He was a party boy most of his life. I care about this country and want a future for my children and grandchildren.

September 17, 2008 at 10:32 am
(14) Discusted says:

Since when is education a bad word? And since when does being a prisoner of war prove a damn thing about leaderships. Seems to me, McCain has had 17 years to show the country that he can rally folks in Washington & accomplish “reform”. BS! He can’t even run an honorable campaign. And, when I was some religious extremist cramming their narrow minded stuff down my throat, I’ll let ya know.

September 28, 2008 at 9:57 am
(15) Rachel says:

Am I the only person who DOESN’T want someone like “us” leading the country? I want someone brilliant. We have serious issues going on. Mediocre is NOT going to cut it. This isn’t the neighborhood association where you like the guy running the program. “Gosh, he’s a great guy.” We are talking about the future of a country in great financial turmoil, in a war on Iraq and soon to be Afganistan, sizing up China, etc. Give me BRILLIANCE not ordinary.

September 30, 2008 at 10:31 pm
(16) GOD FORBID SHE STAYS ON THIS TICKET!!!!!! says:

Palin HAS NO SUBSTANCE!!!

She’s a pretend politician w/ no working knowledge of the system.

In all the females in conservative politics couldn’t they pick one with a brain intact.

She needs to go home and take care of her family.