1. News & Issues

Cost of Love: Father's Day vs. Mother's Day Spending

By June 10, 2008

Is it due to gender...or the economy? According to public relations veteran Kristi Hughes of Manavista PR, we spend a lot less on Dad for Father's Day than we do on Mom for Mother's Day:
For 2008, the projected consumer spending for Father's Day is close to $9.9 billion, $5.9 billion less than Mother's Day this very year. However, this year's consumer spending as a whole has been lower than previous years; the rising costs of dairy products, gas and the ever-weakening market is forcing consumers to cut back back their spending habits. Will dad take the hit this Fatherís Day?
This factoid practically begs for a smart-mouthed commentary, doesn't it? But as my husband - the father of our two kids - will undoubtedly read this, I know when to let sleeping dogs lie in my family. Any clever comments will have to be made by other wives and mothers funnier and braver than me. (I love you, honey! And I did my own small part in adding to overall consumer spending. It's not much, but Happy Father's Day!)

Comments

June 10, 2008 at 9:21 pm
(1) Whiteknyght says:

To quote the eternal Cos circa 1968… “on Mother’s Day you break your back working to buy some presents… come father’s day you say, ‘Dad give me some money, I want to buy you a pack of cigarettes.’ then you smoke half the pack coming home… and it’s not even his brand.”

June 12, 2008 at 1:14 am
(2) whiteknyght says:

that’s The Cos – as in Bill Cosby

June 19, 2008 at 6:01 pm
(3) C. Cruz says:

The truth is in the numbers. It isn’t that we love one any less than the other, but that women even with a social & professional deck stacked against them rise to the role of Parenthood while the men who generally hold the deck in their hand “mis-deal” their families. Out of 3 brothers, one brother is a fantastic Father, but even at that rate it at best 33% about which is dismal. On the other hand my Sisters who have children there 100%. Explain that? I know I can’t.

June 19, 2008 at 6:07 pm
(4) C. Cruz says:

Just an add: Bill Cosby the master got it right in just under two sentences. Brilliant.

May 4, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(5) Phil C says:

Cruz, maybe your numbers don’t really suggest a problem.

Maybe the problem is in women’s perception of what right and wrong is.

If you say in fact that 33% of men do well by their families, maybe instead of assuming something is wrong with the other 67%, you should try to understand that men, in general, do not want babies, like women do. There is nothing wrong with that. Boys grow up thinking and wanting to do other things than to raise children. Some men do want them, that’s their choice, I do not have a problem with those that do. Almost all little girls grow up wanting to have a baby to take care of.

Now, unless you are going to tell me you are qualified to judge what’s right or wrong for a person’s life, their dreams and their desires, then you have no argument.

I can continue and argue, that, in fact, there are men who stay and are good fathers, despite the fact that they never wanted a child to begin with. Since women, by most of their acknowledgement, want children, they are fulfilling their life-long dream by having a baby (not all women, of course, but I would guess MOST). They would feel empty without it. So, having a baby is steeped in a selfish desire to finally have that life-long dream fulfilled. What about the fathers who don’t have that life-long dream fulfilled? Many times they give up their life long dream in order to provide. Which is sacrificing more?

I’ll put this in a different way. If a husband has a life-long dream to live in California, and the wife does not, even if the husband works 3 times as hard than the wife to help pack the house, who is truly sacrificing more? The husband who fulfills his dream and works harder, or the wife who has to give up her dream of living in (insert place), but doesn’t work as hard to pack the house?

I would say the person who gives up their dream for the sake of the other’s dream.

Think about it, maybe you can be a little more thankful for the men who are good fathers, and understand that not everyone has to want the same things that you do in life (children)

June 19, 2009 at 5:11 pm
(6) Grissell says:

I was wondering if the fact that women are bargain shoppers was taken into consideration. We like to shop around and find great deals for the perfect gift. I know with my male family members they always talk about finding time to buy a gift and they usually do not spend time bargain shopping. They see something they like and buy it.

I think if that was considered there would be a whole different outcome. I think it is much to do about nothing.

I really value my children’s father and the hardwork of helping them whether we live together or not.

I hope someone would have the answer for that. Have a great day

June 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(7) Pastor Richard says:

According to the National Retail Federation the average per-person spending on Father’s day 2010 will be $90.89, but the average spending on Mother’s day 2010 is $87.70.

The difference between these per-person numbers and the overall numbers quoted by Linda (besides 2-year difference) may be due to the difference in life-expectancy. Women live longer then men. Hence, more people have living mothers but not living fathers.