1. News & Issues

Mean Girls on Tape - Florida Teens Attack Girl, Create 'Girl Beating' Video for YouTube

By April 8, 2008

Mean girls persecute, humiliate, and victimize other girls. But how mean, soulless and opportunistic would a girl have to be to videotape her group of friends beating another girl in the hopes of creating a video that would be popular on YouTube?

Sixteen-year-old Victoria Lindsay of Lakeland, FL allegedly trash talked some girls on MySpace. So to teach her a lesson, the girls beat Lindsay, punching and kicking her and slamming her head into a wall hard enough to cause a concussion, a black eye and loss of hearing in her ear.

Throughout it all, the girls told Lindsay they were going to post the video on YouTube and MySpace.

Following the March 30, 2008 attack, eight teens have been taken into custody - the six girls who beat Lindsay, and two teenage boys who stood guard outside the house in which the incident happened.

According to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, the girls showed no remorse:

"When we had them in custody at the station, they were laughing about it, saying, 'Well, I guess this spring break we won't go to the beach....One of the suspects asked the detective, 'Am I going to get to go to cheerleading practice tomorrow?"

Comments

April 8, 2008 at 12:22 pm
(1) Mandy Merritt says:

I believe that this girls are heartless, selfish kids. I can’t beleive a parent would say that she shouldn’t of called them names on myspace. NOBODY deserves what that girl got. Also think that the one should have to watch that video tape over and over and imagine if that was them or maybe their sister. I watched this with my daughter and wouldn’t know what to do if something like this would happen to her. I hope they have as much punishment and suffering that Lindsey had to go through.

April 8, 2008 at 3:43 pm
(2) Denniece says:

This makes me sick to my stomach!!! I am raising MY children to be fair and just. To CHOOSE to do the right thing and be a leader. I am afraid that I am doing the wrong thing when I see this video & hear this mother DEFEND her guilty child. What I am seeing is a mother trying to justify the illegal crime her daughter and her daughter’s friends committed by bullying, beating, humilating, intimidating & torturing thier victim over “something the victim said” that they didn’t like. This mother is defending her child when she should be DISCIPLINING her. This is the same type of mother that raises people who “just flip out” and shoot everyone at a department store, or a post office, or a high school—ya getting what I am saying? All who were involved are of a damaged character, and YES, as a parent I can say, the PARENTS must take some blame. Better to bust thier butt when they are children than to have the police finish raising them.

April 8, 2008 at 4:27 pm
(3) Ziggie says:

Quite frankly, I hope they try all of them as adults. I hope they are ALL tried as adults and that ones who actually struck Lindsay get the maximum sentence – no early parole. The ones who were accessories should also have to do real prison time. I think they should all be made fresh examples of.

These girls should be taught what it feels like in prison – the women in the medium and maximum security facilities are much meaner, much more brutal than these girls could hope to be.

I hope all these girls, and the guys too, suffer the knocks life has coming to them. We reap what we sow!

April 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm
(4) Whiteknyght says:

“We reap what we sow…”

In a world where vengence in the guise of everything from the justice system to the economy and culture to the justifications of warfare and agression disguised as patriotism… The devil is in all our reflections and to simply, joyfully pass judgements and platitudes will only make the road to oblivion wider and faster.

April 9, 2008 at 11:03 am
(5) Maxi says:

Shame on that mother. If those teens don’t get displicined harshly now, I hate to see what they could do in the future to someone else. They all need to be in jail and reformed. And in regards to the internet… Its Evil for our kids.

April 9, 2008 at 6:21 pm
(6) Chrissy says:

I am the mother of an 18year old boy. He & his friends are always doing silly things to put on youtube – they haven’t got anything there yet. One thing they will NOT do is bash, hurt or otherwise injure another person just to get their 15 minutes of fame. I have brought my son up better than that. His friends are mostly good boys too & all know my feelings on proper behaviour. I can’t understand the parents of these teenagers not thinking their children have done something so heinous. I dread to think what these childrens children will grow up like unless a lesson, a harsh one, is taught here.

April 9, 2008 at 11:12 pm
(7) Art says:

Im sure the 6 girls and 2 boys showed no remorse when taken to custody, they were raised up that way, they were brought up that way and simply no heart feelings at all and I dont think they are humans. And Im sure the parents of these girls/boys beating Victoria are protecting their babies. They should be trial as adults, they plan it and they know what they were doing. They should show their tufness in prison and teach them a lesson.

April 9, 2008 at 11:54 pm
(8) Trish says:

I was beyond discussed. Those teenagers are monsters! It is so sad that “cheerleaders” are usually the “it” girls at school. What the heck happened at that school? Wait. All of their parents FAILED miserably. When they get to jail they will have to fight for themselves. Then they will find out how tough they really are.

April 10, 2008 at 10:24 am
(9) M2GM says:

This amoral, sadistic behavior makes me think positively about capital punishment. These sixteen/seventeen year olds have no concept of right and wrong outside of what is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ for them, and they are not going to learn it in prison. You don’t become a good person unless you want to change. When a dog goes violent, the dog is shot – and a sick, maddened dog acting out of pain and fear has more right to live than a sadistic human who attacks for pleasure

April 10, 2008 at 1:12 pm
(10) T.S. Williams says:

I have an idea, those girls want to fight, they want to beat on people…we need some more people fighting in Iraq I would send those selfish little brats right over there, there’s a wake up call little girl, and as I know revenge is not the answer, some people need a little smack in the head to get the point, All I can say is they are ucky it wasn’t my kid because not only would the girls go to jail but the parents who would be dumb enough to let something like this happen and defend it. Justce better be served.

April 10, 2008 at 1:30 pm
(11) J St says:

Something is seriously wrong with American society – stuff like this is getting more and more common – I feel like we really promote a selfish, bully culture that leads to crap like this. The generation coming up has no sense of thinking of others, only in getting the newest video game, makeup or whatever it is, the welfare of other human beings does not seem to register.

April 10, 2008 at 1:47 pm
(12) Kari says:

What happened to that girl makes me sick to my stomache! I have a 13 year old daughter and a 12 year old boy and there are plently of mean girls AND mean boys at their school. My daughter had terriable problems last year (7th grade)with her group of friends and the school didn’t do a thing!!! I talked with the school many times about what was happening to her and they didn’t do anything until my husband threatened them with a law suit!! Can you believe it? We had to threaten them! Parents need to log on to their kids myspace and find out what is really going on in their lives. I did and I couldn’t believe how mean they can be. My daughter cancelled hers cause no one needs to be treated like that. Just because you bring your kids to church doesn’t make them good kids. Parents need to step up and find out whats going on. I just don’t get what is going on in this world of kids these days! They act like they have so much power. Why do they think behavior like this is ok? What is this generation going to turn out to be? Its really sad. Something has to change. I do agree that stronger punishment must prevail.

April 10, 2008 at 5:29 pm
(13) joe public says:

I feel so bad for the young girl who was obviously held against her will and beaten by SIX girls. The parents of those SIX criminals must be so proud! I’m sure they’ll defend the actions of their little FELONS, because that’s what parents do today. Thank GOD the little retards were dumb enough to tape it.
Here’s the funny part: Those parents are 100% responsible for the actions of their children. When the civil lawsuit is filed by the family of the victim, you better believe those FELONS are going to pay..BIG TIME!
This WILL have a happy ending…when the young girl turns 16, and drives her new ferrari past the trailer park where the families of the little felons are now residing!

April 13, 2008 at 5:04 pm
(14) Ellen says:

I am of the same opinion as most of you – these abusive, spoiled rotten brats need to be tried as adults and face the same punishment as adults would face.

THIS is the type of thing that happens when PARENTS do not exercise corporal punishment. Sorry folks, but “time out” or “taking away a privilege or two” just isn’t cutting it. These types of kids realize that there are no real consequences to their actions, but, these kids are about to find out – jail is not summer or cheerleading camp. All of them will be begging for boot camp. Everyone of them will also have these charges follow them for the rest of their lives. Many opportunities that would have been open to them, are now gone. NO EMPLOYER wants ANYONE with a criminal record these days – especially one of assault, kidnapping and those kids also should be charged with Organized Crime. Cheerleading? I had to gasp at that stupid remark! Little girl – you just LOST that position and you will NEVER have that again – you committed a crime against a person.

I pray that these kids are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, tried as adults and have to face the consequences of their actions. This is an outrage and the only one I feel any compassion for is Victoria Lindsey and her parents.

I do have some feelings for the parents – guess what Moms and Dads…you too will pay for your childs’ decision. Your hearts must be breaking for several reasons. It must feel horrible to know that your children are heartless criminals!

April 13, 2008 at 9:08 pm
(15) Jack says:

I wish I could be the judge and jury because I would give these 8 kids the electric chair and I would want to be the one to throw the arm down so I could laugh as they get fried……They dont deserve to be alive… they are animals…. Put them to death, because thats what they deserve. I hope they get beat up and raped in prison, they would deserve it…. they are sick sick kids and their parents should be put on death row with them, because they were sorry parents who obviously could not parent and should have never had kids to begin with. Hell lets electrocute the parents with them. That way it can be a family affair.

April 15, 2008 at 11:12 am
(16) Jessica13 says:

No one knows the whole story. She maybe a mean girl at her school, if she wasn’t why would she be on myspace trash talking. She may have bullied her last person. No, I don’t think they all should have jumped her, but I don’t think she is all the way blameless. My mom says the stupid decisions you make causes consequences. She chose to get on myspace and now she sees her consequences. They chose to ambush her and look at their consequences. I hope my peers look at this and see there is a lesson to be learned.

April 16, 2008 at 2:02 am
(17) kay says:

What can anyone say? This act was wrong! We all need to look at how our children are being raised in our so called great country. There are no rules anymore. Say what you want and do what you want. It’s me, me, me, me.

The problem is that our Constitution has been turned into a do what you want and say what you situation. We have turned into a “Whatever” society. I think it is time that American’s take responisblity for their own actions and that includes their child and quit relying on goverment to do it for you.

April 19, 2008 at 1:36 am
(18) mitch says:

These girls are pitiful. I hope they had fun because they will NEVER be anything in their pitiful life. They all look like retards anyway. You all were just jealous because the victim was prettier than all of you put together. hahahahaha who has the last now little bitches.

April 20, 2008 at 11:28 pm
(19) Leah says:

I am 18 with a 2 year old and I wouldn’t even imagine of doing something like this!! Its sick to hold a girl against her will, its not a fight unless its two sides, this was only one side, she never got to defend herself!! all though if that was me, one of those bitches would of ended up with a black eye, a cut, red mark somethin’!ALL I KNOW IS THAT THESE GIRLS ARE GOING TO BE REMINDED OF THIS everyday FOR THE REST OF THEIR PATHETIC LIVES!!!! while they are getting their ass whooped in jail with much more tougher girls and when they can’t go to “cheerleading practice” anymore! THESE GIRLS SHOULD BE IN JAIL UNTIL THEY ARE AT LEAST 80!! THEY DECIDED TO DO BIG GIRL THINGS AND NO JUDGE OR JURY WILL ALLOW THEM TO WALK AWAY WITHOUT PAYING BIG GIRL CONSEQUENCES!! Also two things if they get a few years then when they get out they will go back after her or threaten her for the rest of her life, and if they are let out that soon then that sends a message for all girls that this is OK and “COOL” and that the sentence isn’t that long! I hope they get what they deserve….Because truly the only person who has to live with this for the rest of their life is VICTORIA LINDSAY!!

April 29, 2008 at 8:25 pm
(20) Bill S says:

I saw the video and heard the 911 taped calls. I’m a fair minded Christian but I’m buying guns and giving my girls lessons in shooting. I’d rather give Carry and Conceal permits to act as a deterent but apparently the law is meant to be broken! So be it!

May 28, 2008 at 5:12 pm
(21) Ashley says:

I’m clueless as to why these ahem..”girls”(if you would call them that, considering that they all looked to be 165 lbs. and about 5 feet tall)attacked the skinny, prettier girl to get on Youtube. How Hickville can you possibly get? Just have a webcam ready and some nonsensical, teenage bs to say and you’ll get over 20,000 views in a week.

June 6, 2008 at 4:26 pm
(22) Toni says:

the girls in this video should be ashamed…it would somewhat understandable if it would have been a fair one on one fight… but six girls on one i mean come on now..tha is just not right.i hope that all those girls sit in juvinille for a long long time. That video made me sick to my stomach…how cruel…the parents of those children should be ashamed..for they have raised monsters!!!!

June 18, 2008 at 4:04 am
(23) Amanda says:

I want to know where the parents were and who raised them to think violence is the answer. The girls say she deserved it because she was trash talking on myspace BIG DEAL you don’t beat the crap out of someone for words. I also feel myspace and youtube are not responsible for this incident. Children under 18 should be strictly policed when on the internet. I feel the parents are to blame as well as the 8 kids for lack of morals. The internet can be a dangerous place and it is the parents responsibility to get involved in their children’s lives and know what they are doing online, this includes online fighting. The internet is here to stay and I feel someone who views it with maturity and understanding for what they see on it should be the ones using it. TO many young girls are on youtube wearing short skirts and shaking their butt in front of the camera. children should be parentally blocked from sites they can see and upload age inappropriate footage. I hope those kids have to serve some prison time, not life, but enough time that they realize what they did was so unbelievably wrong. I have done a lot of online searching on the topic and I have yet to see someone that condones those kids behavior.

July 25, 2008 at 11:11 pm
(24) Angel says:

I don’t care what was done to make these girls feel provoked into doing what they did, it was ABSOLUTLY uncalled for. I’ve had bad things said about me and mean things done too me, but I would never have done what these people have done. EVERY single one of them should be charged as adults. They knew what they were doing was wrong. I feel that if the parents had been paying closer attention to what was going on, this atrocity never would have happened. I used to go to that school and I lived around that area, I never would have imagined something like this happening there. I guess it’s true, Ignorance is everywhere.

August 7, 2008 at 9:14 pm
(25) amy says:

i believe these girls and two guys should be tried as adults i know by now they are our and free and laughing it up that they got away with it … keep in mind what is going threw there mind if they can get away with this what else can they get away with … murder … im sure its crossed there mind they can get away with anything . i myself am a mother and i know kids run there mouths and say stuff they should not say but it does not mean they need to be beaten for it or murderd had it gone that far. i feel if a girl is gonna bad mouth someone then yes be confronted maybe there is a reason behind it normally there is and most likely the person or people she talked about previously offended her causing her to talk about them … girls dont spread rumors for nothing there is a reason for everything but all the same in all cases beateing are out of line and if it were my child doing the beating i would have kicked her out reguardless if the case was dropped …. she would no longer be called my child i have no tolerance for that and i stick to my word they should be in prison and … adult prison because juvi is just a slap on the hand they need to experience real life and go to prison for at least 5 years each

October 1, 2008 at 3:34 pm
(26) jesse says:

them boys and 6 gurls are stupid for wat they did…. thinkin yall tough and all grown up… try them all as adults… let em see wat its lik as an adult in the pen… them two dudes if i see yall in houston me and tha homies gonna show wat a realass whoopin is…

December 7, 2008 at 12:34 am
(27) Thomas says:

No amount of “trash talking” or whatever the room temperature IQ crowd calls it warrants this kind of violence.

That was a totally uncalled for and cowardly attack. I hope they get the maximum sentence. Yes I have heard it before that “young people make mistakes!”. This is no mistake. I dont care how young and ignorant these people are. There is no excuse for that kind of violence.

And no you will not be going to the beach on spring break. You will go to prison for spring break and there wont be any cheerleading practice there either.

Speaking of which they having the nerve to ask the officers those questions just goes to show how we are raising our children. How typical of a couple white trash skanks from florida! It teaches them that if you are not a materialistic and vane little skank you are a loser! And the whole incident in general just shows poor parenting.

It doesnt surprise me much that a bunch of white trash skanks from florida did this. Just think about it. Right now our taxes are paying to keep them in jail. If this didnt happen they would have 5 kids when they are 18 and out taxes would be paying for that! Id rather my taxes go to keeping them locked up than taking care of their little bastard children.

December 27, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(28) misslady says:

These lil punks need to be locked in a room with me for 30 minutes all of them including the guys to be tought a lesson. Thier actions were totally unjustified who cares if she was talking stuff about them they could have just talked about her.

February 21, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(29) bob says:

What kind of parents raise kids like these? Do they understand that there may be more to children than popping ‘em out. What bothers me is that my children have to share the world with filth. This is what my child must go to school with, how sad. If harsher, yet reasonable, laws were enforced little scumbags would think twice. My opinion is that each parent should also get something for neglecting to properly raise and care for their kids. Everyone knows what their kids are like and clearly these are idiots that need constant supervion. Hope the parents don’t have any other kids.

June 8, 2009 at 8:07 pm
(30) liz says:

i have a few things to say… that i hope they get what they deserve… to be charged as adults and be sent to jail without probation… what they did is simply wrong… it was something only cowards would do… and for them to laugh about it… they really need to go to prison so they can see just how funny it really is…. and that mother who said if your going to put something on the web back it up… you really need to be ashamed… your a grown ass women for god sakes and your going to send out the wrong message to our kids… now i bet if it was her daughter who had gotten a beating over some crap on the web… she would have had a fit… so why would you even fix your mouth to say that… face it your kid is going to be known to people who really know better as a coward… one to 6… wow be really proud of that… one… lol…

August 9, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(31) Didacticus says:

For the record: only one of them, Brittini Hardcastle, got any jail time: 15 days. She and Mercades Nichols were placed on probation and became felons, though without adjudication, so it will be erased if they complete probation successfully.

The 3 other girls were adjudicated as juveniles and received 1 to 2 years of probation.

BTW, adults are often treated as leniently for similar violence as were these girls, so their punishments were not so surprising.

March 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm
(32) leanne says:

Well, the girl needs to not talk about people!!!! Bet she don’t do it again!

October 5, 2010 at 7:41 am
(33) Tez1 says:

White girls nowadays are TOUGH!! They continue to run around beating up black girls. Seriously, this nonsense has turned into a competition among white girls I guess to see who can beat up more black girls. It has become a trend!
Have you seen all of the videos posted on the internet?

These are just “some” of the numerous videos popping up all over the internet capturing fights between white girls and black girls. The outcome of these fights is shockingly consistent. The white girls are consistently beating up the black girls!! It’s a scenario most people would have NEVER predicted since most white girls were not even interested in fighting until recent years.

In this particular video (http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhjHGTQk53346I4a16) we have a couple of trailer trash white girls speaking straight from their hearts about how they feel and yelling at the top of their lungs… talking about “welcome to the south b@tch!” in one breath, and in the next breath screaming “that’s why we take your men”. It’s videos like this that have so many darn white girls more willing to get down with black girls.

November 1, 2010 at 8:35 am
(34) maria says:

It is interesting how these white girls are trying to turn fighting into their main sport….now that you see a lot of white girls beating up black girls they think they can fight. Well, don’t get too far ahead of yourselves because its not that you CAN FIGHT so much as that black girls CAN’T FIGHT!! Go deal with the girls who are NOT BLACK and see how far you get!!!

October 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm
(35) jessi says:

I think its sick, I believe in prison they will get it I cant believe that it took all them to beat up one girl. Jez she just said a comment they took it to far. They knew the girl was nice and if it was someone else they run scared. I say they deserve what comes to them

November 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm
(36) ta says:

All of you people that think that girl got what she deserved are idiots. 5 against 1 – that’s pathetic. Those girls and probably most of their parents are trailer trash. At least one year in the pen would have been appropriate.